In this brief note you will find ten questions and answers about the conflict between industrial fisheries and marine animals with an emphasis on seabirds and marine mammals.
- What is the conflict between commercial fisheries and marine animals?
- What fishing gear is dangerous for seabirds and marine mammals?
- Are the by-catch of seabirds and marine mammals causing direct economic damage to the fishery or is it only an environmental problem?
- What kind of Acoustic Deterrent Devices (ADD) exist?
- Are ADD effective for deterrenting marine mammals?
- Is it ethical and safe to use ADD?
- What other methods of containment marine mammals from fishing gear exist?
- Would the knowledge about seals’ natural behavior, life cycle and habitats help us to manage the conflict situation with commercial fishing?
- Are there ways to reduce the bycatch of seabirds in seine fishing?
- Are there political and economic instruments to mitigate the impact of commercial fishing on marine animals?
BBNP, Biodiversity and nature conservation, Fisheries and Aquaculture