The eight Meeting of the Working Group on the State of the Environment and Nature Conservation, (STATE & CONSERVATION 8-2018) will be convened on 14-18 May 2018 in Klaipeda, Lithuania.
The Meeting will start on Monday 14 May 2018 at 10.00 and is expected to end on Friday 18 May 2017 at 13.00. Monday to Tuesday until 12.00 is planned for issues related to monitoring and assessment .
Tuesday 13.00 to Thursday 10.30 will be dedicated to joint themes, and Thursday 11.00 until the end of the meeting on Friday will be dedicated to biodiversity and nature conservation.
Focal items of the meeting are:
- Monitoring and assessment session: discuss the proposal to withdraw recommendation 10/1, the
review and possibly update and amend the deadline information on reporting on the monitoiring
results in the manuals and guidelines, updating of monitoring guidelines and monitoring manual,
including additions to the endorsed turbidity, chlorophyll-a and water transparency guidelines to
include also Earth Observation methods, and discussing any data issues related to the updating of core indicators and ‘State of the Baltic Sea’ report
- Joint session: finalizing the update of the State of the Baltic Sea report, implementation and update of the Baltic Sea Action Plan, including the work on idicators and indicator reports, clarifying issues
relating to Recommendation 17/2, HELCOM dedicated work on climate change, Review of the State
and Conservation Working Group.
- Nature conservation session: discuss ongoing work related to recommendations under the Group,
discuss and plan future work related to marine protected areas, categorization of protective measures
of birds, discuss and agree on a project proposal for migrating birds, as well as updating of the
HELCOM checklist/red list.
CCB will be represented at the meeting by the Biodiversity and Nature Conservation Working Area leader, who will introduce CCB’s inputs for consideration of the group, including*
- We are the Baltic! – Civil Society Declaration on Ecosystem Health of the Baltic Sea
- Statement with regards to the Nord Stream II project promotion at the Baltic Sea Days
*NOTE: meeting documents will be publicly available online only after the meeting
The State and Conservation Working Group covers monitoring and assessment functions as well as issues related to nature conservation and biodiversity protection in HELCOM. Read more here.